WM981-15 Strategic Business Management
This module looks at the role of Business Strategy in organisations. It addresses the importance of strategy to the organisation and examines the process for developing and implementing an effective strategy.
It will explain how to develop and implement a strategy in a business. It will also consider how to select and apply various tools and techniques at each stage of the strategy’s development and deployment.
In addition, it will highlight real, practical considerations to enable successful, sustainable strategy implementation.
This is an indicative module outline only to give an indication of the sort of topics that may be covered. Actual sessions held may differ.
- The theory of strategy development – including vision and mission statements
- The process of strategy development – including tools and techniques
- Analysis of internal and external environment, strategic position and strategic options
- Accounts from practitioners on aspects of strategy
- Strategic alternatives
- Practical implementation considerations
- Influencing – tools, techniques and practice
- Application of learning to specific business situation
- Review and improvement of strategic business opportunity
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Critically analyse the role of, and the process for, the development of business strategy, and its relationship with organisational vision, mission, values and culture.
- Identify and critically assess the external and internal factors that affect a business and their business in particular.
- Recognise the interface between different parts of an organisation, appreciate the expectations of stake-holders both inside and outside of the organisation, and consider how to manage them.
- Review and/or develop sources of competitive advantage and debate the practicalities of enabling business benefit from them.
- Create a business strategy and implementation plan for a part of the organisation in which the learner works.
- Interpret, critically evaluate and apply appropriate theories, tools and techniques to issues in the learner's workplace (and demonstrate these against a Degree Apprenticeship standard where appropriate).
Indicative reading list
see Talis Aspire
Subject specific skills
Big picture thinking & techniques
Practical implementation of strategy
Importance of and influencing culture & behaviours in strategy
Communication - verbal and written
Influencing & negotiation
|Lectures||10 sessions of 1 hour (7%)|
|Seminars||10 sessions of 1 hour 30 minutes (10%)|
|Work-based learning||30 sessions of 1 hour (20%)|
|Online learning (independent)||5 sessions of 1 hour (3%)|
|Assessment||90 hours (60%)|
Private study description
No private study requirements defined for this module.
No further costs have been identified for this module.
You must pass all assessment components to pass the module.
Assessment group A1
|PMA written question||50%||50 hours|
One PMA written component on strategy, from a choice of two questions
|Video log (Vlog)||30%||30 hours|
10 minute video log reflecting on how the learning from the module can be applied in the learner's workplace
|In module exercise and assessment||20%||10 hours|
The in-module exercise and assessment will be dependent on the cohort group size.
Assessment group R1
1 question from a choice of 2
Feedback on assessment
in module - verbal and written feedback (using pro-forma)
written essay - written feedback using standard feedback form
vlog - written feedback using standard feedback form
If you take this module, you cannot also take:
- ES977-10 Business Strategy & Strategic Management
This module is Optional for:
- Year 1 of EWMS-H1X9 Postgraduate Taught Engineering Business Management (Degree Apprenticeship)
- Year 1 of EWMS-H1B3 Postgraduate Taught Managing in Technology Based Industries (Degree Apprenticeship)
- Year 1 of EWMS-H7BJ Postgraduate Taught Supply Chain and Logistics Management (Degree Apprenticeship)
- Year 1 of EWMS-H1XB Postgraduate Taught Systems Engineering Technical Leadership (Degree Apprenticeship)