ES440-15 Computational Fluid Dynamics
ES440-15 Computational Fluid Dynamics
The aim of this module is to provide the student with a fundamental understanding of important numerical techniques in computational fluid dynamics and to establish a critical view on the use of CFD as part of the design process. This module offers an increased depth and range of specialist knowledge in computational fluid dynamics required by IMechE.
This is an indicative module outline only to give an indication of the sort of topics that may be covered. Actual sessions held may differ.
Concepts of CFD : • Discretisation; • Accuracy; • Finite Difference Methods; • Finite Volume Methods; • Solution of Linear Equation Systems; • Methods for Unsteady Problems; • Solution of the Navier-Stokes Equations; • Complex Geometries; • Turbulent Flows.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Evaluate and interpret advanced numerical algorithms used in current commercial CFD programs.
- Discriminate and interpret the effects of algorithm assumptions on solution speed and accuracy, and so demonstrate a solid understanding of the capabilities and limitations of CFD in engineering design process.
- Apply numerical PDE (partial differential equation) theories to fluid problems and in so doing demonstrate a practical ability to validate solutions.
- Use a commercial CFD software (such as STAR-CCM+) to interpret and solve complex problems in fluid engineering and to optimise design parameters.
- Apply practical computational techniques and hand calculations in the analysis of CFD results and show how the information generation may be applied to the design process.
Indicative reading list
J. H. Ferziger, M. Peric, R. L. Street 2020 Computational Methods for Fluid Dynamics. 4thd Edition, Springer.
P. Moin 2010 Fundamentals of engineering numerical analysis, Cambridge University Press.
Subject specific skills
- Ability to be pragmatic, taking a systematic approach and the logical and practical steps necessary for, often complex, concepts to become reality
- Ability to seek to achieve sustainable solutions to problems and have strategies for being creative and innovative
- Numeracy: apply mathematical and computational methods to communicate parameters, model and optimize solutions
- Apply problem solving skills, information retrieval, and the effective use of general IT facilities
- Plan self-learning and improve performance, as the foundation for lifelong learning/CPD
|Lectures||18 sessions of 1 hour (12%)|
|Seminars||2 sessions of 1 hour (1%)|
|Supervised practical classes||10 sessions of 2 hours (13%)|
|Private study||110 hours (73%)|
Private study description
110 hours guided independent learning
No further costs have been identified for this module.
You must pass all assessment components to pass the module.
Students can register for this module without taking any assessment.
Assessment group A2
|CFD simulation and discussion.||50%|
Pre-recorded video presentation of individual CFD simulation results and discussion
|Numerical methods for computational fluid dynamics||50%|
Assignment on understanding of basic CFD methods.
Feedback on assessment
Individual feedback as well as generic feedback will be provided.
To take this module, you must have passed:
This module is Core for:
- Year 1 of TESA-H341 Postgraduate Taught Advanced Mechanical Engineering
This module is Core optional for:
- Year 4 of UESA-H311 MEng Mechanical Engineering
This module is Optional for:
- Year 4 of UESA-H116 MEng Engineering with Exchange Year
- Year 5 of UESA-H115 MEng Engineering with Intercalated Year
This module is Option list A for:
- Year 4 of UESA-H163 MEng Biomedical Systems Engineering
- Year 4 of UESA-H114 MEng Engineering
UESA-H311 MEng Mechanical Engineering
- Year 4 of H311 Mechanical Engineering
- Year 4 of H30J Mechanical Engineering with Appropriate Technology
- Year 4 of H30L Mechanical Engineering with Automotive Engineering
- Year 4 of H30G Mechanical Engineering with Business Management
- Year 4 of H30K Mechanical Engineering with Instrumentation
- Year 4 of H30M Mechanical Engineering with Robotics
- Year 4 of H30H Mechanical Engineering with Sustainability
- Year 4 of H30N Mechanical Engineering with Systems Engineering
- Year 4 of UESA-H316 MEng Mechanical Engineering
- Year 4 of UESA-H318 MEng Mechanical Engineering with Exchange Year
- Year 5 of UESA-H317 MEng Mechanical Engineering with Intercalated Year
This module is Option list B for:
- Year 4 of UESA-HH31 MEng Systems Engineering
- Year 4 of UESA-HH33 MEng Systems Engineering with Exchange Year
- Year 5 of UESA-HH32 MEng Systems Engineering with Intercalated Year