QS308-15 Public Opinion
The module provides the core concepts and theoretical insights for analysing public opinion and political participation. It provides the theoretical frameworks for understanding the nature of mass beliefs, political participation, value change, elections and parties, social cleavages, partisanship, political attitudes, and political representation.
This is an indicative module outline only to give an indication of the sort of topics that may be covered. Actual sessions held may differ.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Describe and compare the main meanings of public opinion and understand the circumstances that influence which meaning is best.
- Understand and analyse the primary scholarly and political debates about public opinion throughout history up to the present day.
- Distinguish and appraise the key theories of public opinion.
- Know the basic methods to measure and analyse public opinion and understand their merits and limits.
- Communicate, interpret, and evaluate scholarly and professional studies of public opinion.
Indicative reading list
Subject specific skills
|Lectures||9 sessions of 1 hour (6%)|
|Seminars||9 sessions of 1 hour (6%)|
|Private study||132 hours (88%)|
Private study description
No further costs have been identified for this module.
You must pass all assessment components to pass the module.
Assessment group A1
|3000 word essay||100%|
Feedback on assessment
This module is Optional for:
- Year 3 of USOA-L301 BA in Sociology
- Year 4 of USOA-L306 BA in Sociology (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of UPOA-M100 Undergraduate Politics
- Year 4 of UPOA-M101 Undergraduate Politics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of UPOA-M168 Undergraduate Politics and International Studies with Chinese
- Year 3 of UPOA-M162 Undergraduate Politics, International Studies and Quantitative Methods
- Year 3 of USOA-L314 Undergraduate Sociology and Criminology
- Year 4 of USOA-L312 Undergraduate Sociology and Quantitative Methods with Intercalated Year
This module is Option list A for:
- Year 3 of UPOA-M16A Undergraduate Politics and International Studies
- Year 4 of UPOA-M16B Undergraduate Politics and International Studies (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of UPOA-ML13 Undergraduate Politics and Sociology
- Year 4 of UPOA-ML14 Undergraduate Politics and Sociology (with Intercalated year)
- Year 4 of UPOA-M163 Undergraduate Politics, International Studies and French
- Year 4 of UPOA-M164 Undergraduate Politics, International Studies and German
- Year 4 of UPOA-M166 Undergraduate Politics, International Studies and Hispanic Studies
- Year 3 of USOA-L311 Undergraduate Sociology and Quantitative Methods
This module is Option list C for:
- Year 3 of UHIA-VM11 Undergraduate History and Politics
- Year 4 of UHIA-VM12 Undergraduate History and Politics (with Year Abroad)