ST224-120 Work Placement Year
This module is a pass / fail module taken by Statistics Student on a Work Placement Year for a course that contains "with intercalated year" in the title.
Students are required to submit a report on their Work Placement Year as well as progress reports at the end of terms 1 and 2.
To provide students with the opportunity to:
Complete an undergraduate work placement
Develop experience of, and confidence in, essential workplace skills
Develop in a commercial, professional, industrial or other environment, skills previously pursued in an academics setting.
Improve foreign languageskills (in placements where the language is not English)
This is an indicative module outline only to give an indication of the sort of topics that may be covered. Actual sessions held may differ.
The syllabus will vary as each placement may be different. A job description should be provided by the placement provider. The syllabus will comprise undertaking the approved work placement and maintaining a monthly summary whilst on placement. The workload must be a minimum of 1,200 hours to maintain equivalence with that expected for a 120 credit module.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Apply, in a non-academic environment, the critical, analytical and interpersonal skills developed in pursuit of their disciplinary studies.
- Understand the work environment and their contribution to it.
- Demonstrate high level transferable skills such as confidence, communication, flexibility, time management, team working.
- Where appropriate demonstrate the development of social and cultural sensitivity and ethical awareness.
- Reflect on personal and professional progress, cogently and judiciously.
- To make decisions, plan and thrive in the world of work.
Subject specific skills
-Apply, in a non-academic environment, the critical, analytical and interpersonal skills developed in pursuit of their disciplinary studies.
-Understand the work environment and their contribution to it.#
-Demonstrate high level transferrable skill such as confidence, communication, flexibility, time management, team working.
-Where appropriate demonstrate social and cultural sensitivity and ethical awareness
-Reflect on personal and professional progress, cogently and judiciously.
-To make decisions, plan and thrive in the world of work
|Placement||1,190 hours (99%)|
|Assessment||10 hours (1%)|
Private study description
No private study requirements defined for this module.
No further costs have been identified for this module.
You must pass all assessment components to pass the module.
Assessment group A3
|Work Placement report||100%||10 hours|
A written summary related to the stated outcomes of the module. The summary should contain contextual information on the host organisation, a description of, and reflection on the process undertaken to secure the placement, its development, any reports submitted by the placement provider, the skills developed
Feedback on assessment
Feedback will be provided by the intercalated year coordinator who will also provide assistance if required.
If you take this module, you cannot also take:
- ST223-120 Study Year Abroad
- ST225-120 Study Abroad and Work Placement Year
This module is Core optional for:
- Year 3 of USTA-G303 Undergraduate Data Science (with Intercalated Year)
USTA-G301 Undergraduate Master of Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics and Economics (with Intercalated
- Year 3 of G301 BSc Master of Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistcs and Economics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of G301 BSc Master of Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistcs and Economics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-G1G4 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (BSc MMathStat) (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-GG17 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-Y603 Undergraduate Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics,Economics (with Intercalated Year)