ST223-120 Study Year Abroad
This module is a pass / fail module taken by Statistics students on a Study Year Abroad for a course that contains "with intercalated year" in the title.
Students are required to submit a report on their Study Abroad Year as well as progress reports at the end of terms 1 and 2. Students must forward the examination and assessment results each term as soon as they are available.
To provide students with the opportunity to
- Demonstrate the ability to study abroad for a year at a host University approved by the department.
- Experience and gain a deeper understanding of the social and cultural environment of the host city and country.
- Improve foreign language skills [in exchanges where the language is not English].
- Broaden understanding and knowledge of their subject specialism(s).
- Travel abroad and achieve personal development in preparation for employment and global citizenship.
This is an indicative module outline only to give an indication of the sort of topics that may be covered. Actual sessions held may differ.
The syllabus will be arranged on an individual basis in consultation with the department and the host institution. It will normally comprise a combination of taught courses and any language training required. It is subject to the approval of the year abroad tutor. Modules selected must not duplicate those taken by students when they are at Warwick but must be chosen to provide adequate preparation for modules students will take when they return to Warwick. Any amendments to the approved study plan must be approved by the study abroad tutor. Students are expected to take the same total workload as that of a typical full time student at the host institution and be equivalent to 120 credits at Warwick.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an enhanced knowledge and understanding of their subject specialism(s).
- Demonstrate that they have developed the qualities and transferable skills necessary for working or studying in another country and in a different academic system.
- Successfully engage with the demands of study in a different country, with enhanced oral and written language skills (in some cases in a language other than English).
- Have developed transferable skills in sensitivity to diversity in terms of culture and people.
Subject specific skills
|Placement||1,190 hours (100%)|
Private study description
No private study requirements defined for this module.
Other activity description
Briefing and debriefing meetings with intercalated year co-ordinator.
|Category||Description||Funded by||Cost to student|
|Field trips, placements and study abroad||
Costs associated with Study Abroad e.g. visas, travel and accommodation.
You must pass all assessment components to pass the module.
Assessment group A1
|Study Year Abroad Report||100%||10 hours|
Due in Term 3, Week 6.
Feedback on assessment
As provided by the host institution for its own students.
Feedback on progress report and final report will be provided by the intercalated year coordinator who will also provide assistance if required.
This module is Core optional for:
- Year 3 of USTA-G303 Undergraduate Data Science (with Intercalated Year)
USTA-G301 Undergraduate Master of Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics and Economics (with Intercalated
- Year 3 of G301 BSc Master of Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistcs and Economics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of G301 BSc Master of Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistcs and Economics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-G1G4 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (BSc MMathStat) (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-GG17 Undergraduate Mathematics and Statistics (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 3 of USTA-Y603 Undergraduate Mathematics,Operational Research,Statistics,Economics (with Intercalated Year)