BS354-24 Assessments for Biological Sciences
BS354-24 Assessment for Biological Sciences
To complete the development of students' research and transferrable skills through a program of laboratory and tutorial activities (continuation of programs in Years 1 and 2).
This is an indicative module outline only to give an indication of the sort of topics that may be covered. Actual sessions held may differ.
Students will complete the third year of a laboratory and tutorial-based skills program. The key aims of the year 3 program are to embed final year level literature and practical research skills and communication skills. This will be achieved through a combination of tutorial set tasks, some of which are formative and some summatively assessed, and laboratory classes.
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- On completing this module, students will be able to:1. Write detailed and well-researched essays on a variety of topics. Research topics in the literature.2. Demonstrate ability to critically interpret scientific papers
Subject specific skills
|Seminars||4 sessions of 1 hour (2%)|
|Tutorials||8 sessions of 1 hour (3%)|
|Other activity||50 hours (21%)|
|Private study||178 hours (74%)|
Private study description
178 hrs self-study and preparation of assessments
Other activity description
No further costs have been identified for this module.
You do not need to pass all assessment components to pass the module.
Students can register for this module without taking any assessment.
Assessment group A4
|Scientific Paper (Ethical Approval)||9%|
Feedback on assessment
Regular small group meetings with tutor; digital written feedback on on-line assessments; oral feedback on seminar presentations
This module is Core for:
UBSA-3 Undergraduate Biological Sciences
- Year 3 of C100 Biological Sciences
- Year 3 of C102 Biological Sciences with Cell Biology
- Year 3 of C103 Biological Sciences with Environmental Resources
- Year 3 of C104 Biological Sciences with Microbiology
- Year 3 of C105 Biological Sciences with Molecular Genetics
- Year 3 of C107 Biological Sciences with Virology
- Year 3 of ULFA-C1A1 Undergraduate Biological Sciences (MBio)
UBSA-4 Undergraduate Biological Sciences (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of C111 Biological Sciences with Cell Biology (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of C101 Biological Sciences with Intercalated Year
- Year 4 of C109 Biological Sciences with Microbiology (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of C108 Biological Sciences with Molecular Genetics ( with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of C110 Biological Sciences with Virology (with Intercalated Year)
- Year 4 of ULFA-C113 Undergraduate Biological Sciences (with Placement Year)